Walker 24/7 Photography Contest
PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST RULES
(A ONE WEEK PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY OF LIFE IN WALKER COUNTY)
Walker Area Community Foundation
The Walker Area Community Foundation is pleased to announce the first annual Photography Contest and History Project,
WALKER 24/7 (A Week in the Life of Walker County). The project will depict all aspects of life in Walker County during a continuous seven (7) day period and for twenty four (24) hours each day. The contest will begin on Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 12:00 a.m. midnight and end on Sunday, October 28, 2012, at 12:00 a.m. midnight (CDST).
The objective of this Contest is to recognize amateur photographers and historically document all aspects of life in our county during the day and night for one (1) entire week including, but not limited to the following subjects:
Families Churches Schools Work Medical/Dental Services Sports
Landmarks People Law enforcement Fire Protection Legal System
Governmental Offices Business and Commerce Recreation (Adults & Children)
Pets/Veterinarians Nature Public Services Restaurants Gas Stations
Automobile Dealerships Civic Clubs Architectural Icons Aviation Special Events
This list of subject matter is suggestive only and by no means is all inclusive.
By submitting an entry, each contestant agrees to the rules of this contest. All decisions of the Walker Area Community Foundation Contest Committee are final and the Committee reserves the right to modify or change any of the contest rules and or qualifications at any time if such changes are deemed in the best interest of the overall historical purposes of the project.
Who may enter:
Any amateur photographer who is a resident of Walker County may enter, except for individuals employed the Walker Area Community Foundation, but their immediate families (children, siblings and spouses) and others living in their households are eligible. The Walker Area Community Foundation Contest Committee will determine winners’ eligibility. Those designated as staff photographers will be ineligible as contestants.2
The contest will be divided into five categories of contestants as follows:
1. Adults – 18 years or older, not a high school student
2. Students – Kindergarten through Fifth Grade
3. Students – Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade
4. Students – Ninth Grade through Twelfth Grade
5. Cell Phone Photographs – All Ages
What to enter:
Photographs must have been shot during the designated time period. Photographs may be color or black and white.
Cropped photos are not eligible. We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos. Minor adjustments, including spotting, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustment or the digital equivalents are acceptable. If our judges determine that a photographer has significantly altered his or her photograph, we reserve the right to disqualify that photograph.
Photographs that have won any other contests or have been published in magazines and newspapers are not eligible. Photographs that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright, are not eligible.
How to enter:
All contest photographs, CD/DVD and submission forms may be delivered to the Walker Area Community Foundation office at 611 Eighth Avenue, Jasper, AL 35501 no later than 4:00 p.m. CDST on November 16, 2012, or they may be submitted through the U.S. mail but postmarked no later than Friday, November 16, 2012.
Each contestant may submit no more than a total of TEN (10) photographs. A submission form must accompany each entry including a brief description of the subject matter, location, date and time as set forth on the required submission form.
Submission forms are available at the Walker Area Community Foundation Office or online at their website http://www.wacf.org
Format and Submissions:
1. Each submission (photograph) must be accompanied by an official submission form with all of the required information.
2. Each submission (photograph[s]) must be in a digital format and must be on a quality CD/DVD. It is recommended that all entries (up to ten) be combined and placed on one (1) CD/DVD.
3. Each submission (photograph) must also be accompanied by a printed copy of the said photograph no smaller than 4 x 6 inches and no larger than 5 x 7 inches in size for identification purposes.
4. The CD/DVD should have the Contestant’s name and telephone number legibly marked on the CD/DVD with a permanent marker.
5. No print or film submissions (photographs) will be accepted for entry into the Contest and must be in a digital format as previously stated.
6. The submissions (photographs) do not have to be taken with a digital camera and scans of such negatives, transparencies or photographic prints are acceptable.
7. Scanning and CD/DVD scanning and copying services to convert negatives, transparencies or photographic prints to digital files are available from Walmart and other photo retailers in the area.
8. All such digital files can be no larger than 20 megabytes and no smaller than 5 megabytes, except cell phone entries (See number 6. Below). All files must be in JPEG or .jpg format.
9. Submissions (photographs) submitted from cell phones must have a file size of 500K or more and must also be in the JPEG or .jpg format.
10. Photographs may be color or black and white.
The purpose of this contest is to depict people, places and events in Walker County in a historical context from all walks of life for one week from Sunday,
October 21, 2011 at 12:00 a.m. midnight CDST through Sunday, October 28, 2011 at 12:00 a.m. midnight CDST and to create a permanent historical record of this one (1) week period.
By entering the contest, the contestants grant the Walker Area Community Foundation a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other standard Walker Area Community Foundation purposes including books or audio visual presentations. Any photograph reproduced will include a photographer credit as feasible. The Walker Area Community Foundation will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
By entering this Contest, the contestant further agrees to convey all right title and interest to any submission (photograph) submitted to the Walker Area Community Foundation for any and all purposes they may choose as set forth in the preceding paragraph.
All contest photographs and submission forms may be delivered to the Walker Area Community Foundation at their offices at 611 Eighth Avenue, Jasper, AL 35501 no later than 4:00 p.m. CDST on November 16, 2012, or they may be submitted through the U.S. mail but postmarked no later than Friday, November 16, 2012.
Judging will be conducted by the Walker Area Community Foundation Contest committee. Decisions of the judges will be final. Winners and runner-ups will be selected from each category. A grand prize winner will also be chosen from all finalists.
The judging criteria will be based on subject matter that best conveys the theme of this project taking into account historical significance, originality and technical proficiency.
Prizes: Grand Prize Winner
(Chosen from all categories)
Nikon D5100 SLR Camera Outfit with lens
Each Category Winner
(Chosen from each category)
1st Place: $100.00
2nd Place: $75.00
3rd Place: $50.00
Six Honorable Mention Winners (Chosen from all categories) $25.00
Each winner will receive a Certificate of Recognition
Winners will be announced on Friday January 4, 2012 at 12:00 noon at the Walker Area Community Foundation office.
Winning photographs, other selected entries and staff photographs will be shown in an exhibit at the Bankhead House and Heritage Center from January15 through March 22, 2013. It is also possible these photographs will made into a book, used on the Foundation’s website and or presented in audio visual presentations in conjunction with this project.
Please do not contact us about the status of entries.
Questions about Walker 24/7:
Call the Walker Area Community Foundation 205-302-0001 or go to http://www.wacf.org
1 A list of suggested subjects and ideas will also be available on our website.